Mensagens populares

quarta-feira, 15 de março de 2017

CONCERT - Synth-ing Nº9!

Synth-ing Nº9 is finally available for you to listen or re-listen!
And if you want to do so, you just need to click here!


I know I promised I would use the same setup as I did on Synth-ing Nº8 (you can check my post about that performance here), but unfortunately past thursday I ended up injuring a bit one of my fingers and decided to change the setup a bit and replace the Yamaha CS-15 (processed by the Lexicon PCM60) with the Roland TR-909.

I know this changed the performance considerably, as I wouldn't have to actually play that much, but it seemed the wiser option considering my slight injury...


Since I didn't have much time to make some changes in the patches, I ended up using the main outputs of the Roland TR-909 (no individual outputs were used).

This also prevented me from changing the delay modules used in the mixer patch, which would have been nice since the ones used cannot be synced to MIDI clock.
With the Yamaha CS-15 (and Lexicon PCM60), I didn't really have the need for the delays to be synced to MIDI clock, but with the Roland TR-909 playing the grooves, it could have made those grooves even more interesting.


When I was developed the patches for the Clavia Nord Modular G2X I'll present in this post, I wanted to come up with a nice polyphonic synth patch that would then be processed by two effects patches in chain (making use of all 4 bus channels available)

To make things more interesting, I also decided to add an external monophonic synth to play along, which was also processed by the effects chain (mixed at the first patch together with the signal coming from the Clavia Nord Modular G2X).

The two effects patches used are basically aimed at giving some ambience to the sound, featuring delays prominently!


In this performance, things ended up being a bit different, as I chose to use a Roland TR-909 instead of the monophonic synthesizer.

I think this patches fitted this new element very well, despite I would have done the patches differently if I was counting on using the Roland TR-909 rather than the Yamaha CS-15 plus Lexicon PCM60, as mentioned before.


The first patch I present is the sound source, the polyphonic FM synth sound named "Old4FM":


It's kinda similar to the "4FMDropper" patch used on Synth-ing Nº6, but without the possibility of self triggering.

However, it has some advantages, like the possibility to use several operators at the same time to modulate another operator, which can lead to pretty complex sounds (it would probably be very interesting to try the 4FMDropper patch with this enhancement).

For this and the previous set, this patch was used to produce a relatively simple pad, rather than going for a complex sound.


Next in the chain was the following patch, named "BitMonPit", is where the mixing of signals occurs:


It features a dual delay module per channel, which is processed a bit and then pitch-shifted, producing a very interesting result!


And to make things even more interesting, the last set of Bus channels are used to connect this patch to a reverb patch, named "MasterVerb":


Ok, the name is probably excessive, since it's far from being the best reverb I ever heard, but it can sound nice still!

I can say it sounds pretty metallic (due to the 8 tap delay modules used), but together with the previous patch, I felt they ended up giving a ver nice ambient that worked well for drums and synth sounds, really enhanced the whole performances!


I think this covers this performance, so if you want to try that sound by yourself, be sure to check the patches I made available here!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário