Mensagens populares

sábado, 14 de janeiro de 2017

A day with a Clavia Nord Modular G1!

As I was predicting, yesterday I ended up focusing on my Clavia Nord Modular G1 to create some new sounds and ended up neglecting my Creamware Pro 12...

Still, it ended up being a very fun afternoon and I was able to come up with quite some diverse sounds for my Clavia Nord Modular G1!



The first program I ended up building was a simple input amplifier, so that I could actually play a bit with the Creamware Pro 12, which unfortunately lacks an headphones output.
This way, I was able to use my Clavia Nord Modular G1 as an headphones output and even amplify the signal if needed, without actually serving as an effects processor.
Pretty simple to do, but still pretty useful in this case!


After noodling around a bit with the synths and having a look at the amazing advanced programming techniques for modular synths from James J. Clark, I decided it could be interesting to compare his claps patch with a simpler filtered noise patch processed with the Roland DC-20.

If you don't know James J. Clack website, you really should check it and have a look at his patch - https://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html

LaserGun! patch
The result was definitely different, and his patch definitely sounds much much more like a real clap!
But using a delay in the audio signal path rather than triggering the envelope several times can give interesting results as well, with a more metallic sound to it.

With another kind of delay, I guess it should be possible to achieve a better result, considering that on the Roland DC-20 the multiple repeats will not have the same amplitude, unlike what happens in the Clavia Nord Modular G1 patch I used.


Afterwards, I continued working on more percussive patches, using either the noise or the ring modulator modules o§f the Clavia Nord Modular G1.

I managed to create a pretty nice laser gun patch, using noise, a vocal filter and two feedback lines, as well as two nice bass patches made up of sine wave oscillators and ring modulators that I present in this post (if you really want these patches, just send me a nice message and I can provide them for you)!

I tried to get some more patches done, but I think these ended up being the nicest ones!


It was a pretty good afternoon and I definitely enjoyed a lot patching away with my Clavia Nord Modular G1.
It might not be as nice to patch as an eurorack modular synth, but it is still great fun to do it and it's much more rewarding that you can save your work and just reuse it later on!

Definitely my favourite series of synths so far! ;)

PercRingBass


AddingBass

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário