Mensagens populares

domingo, 18 de março de 2018

CONCERT - Synth-ing Nº36!

Get ready for a "fluty" performance, cause this drone uses some physical modelling tricks to achieve really nice sounds! :D


And like always, you can listen to it here!


This was a pretty special performance to me as I decided to use my Clavia Nord Modular G1 to come up with a quite different drone to the ones I usually create...

This time, I had a look at some physical modelling patches and decided to try to use some noise and delays to create some interesting flute-like sounds!

And by how the performance turned out, I'd say it worked really nicely!


My inspiration to come up with this patch came from the patch tutorials available in this truly amazing page - https://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html - in the physical modelling section

But I didn't want to stick to a basic physical modelling patch, cause to be honest, my point wasn't to truly emulate acoustic instruments, but rather to come up with new sounds that sounded completely different to what I had obtained before!

So I went a bit further and added a vocal filter, as well as independent feedback from the 3 different delay units, plus a really nice amount of LFO modulation, as you can see in the following picture:



It can definitely achieve flute-like sounds, but it can also go considerably beyond to get really nice textures that just work great in this kind of drone performances!

To be honest, at some times it almost sounds like there were some extra effects being used, but that can't be the case as I used the Akai MIDIMix to have further control over this patch, so I wouldn't have had a controller for my Symbolic Sounds Kyma Capybara 320...


I definitely should try to explore this kind of patches further, and might actually use the opportunity to do so in the next March Equinox concert at electro-music.com, which will be on the 24th of March (in a week from now!).

So, if you enjoyed this performance, be sure to stay tuned, cause there are more to come, with that good physical modelling taste! ;)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário