Mensagens populares

domingo, 9 de abril de 2017

CONCERT - March Equinox 2017

It took me a while, but you can finally listen to this full performance!


If I recall correctly, I had quite some issues with my internet for this performance, which meant it wasn't much of a live performance...

Fortunately I recorded everything, like always, and you can now find this performance available here!


For this performance, I chose a small setup made up by my Clavia Nord Modular G2X, half of my Eurorack Modular System and my Korg MS-20 looped by the Electrix Repeater.


As you could have guessed, I used the Korg MS-20 looped by the Electrix Repeater in a similar style to what I did in the previous performances!

But this time, it teams up with a polyphonic patch I prepared in the Clavia Nord Modular G2X, which I named "2To4":

"2To4", 4 oscillators separated in groups of 2 for some really nice polyphonic sounds!
The reason for this name is the use of 2 sets of 2 oscillators together to give me a 4 oscillator patch.

As you can see in the previous image, in each set, one of the oscillators acts as the main oscillator, while the other acts as a modulation oscillator (despite I actually ended up calling it SubOsc...).

To make it a more versatile patch, I decided to mix both oscillators, together with a feedback path from the overdrive module.

Otherwise, it is a very standard subtractive patch, but I think it sounded pretty good on its own and together with the Korg MS-20!


With the Eurorack Modular System, I decided to build a self-triggering patch, since I didn't have much space available to actually integrate the Akai MAX25 (which I have been using as the controller for it, since it has CV / Gate connectors).

The system I used for this performance was not my complete Eurorack Modular System, as I didn't put the remaining modules in the second Blue Lantern Modules case I have...
So I used the same systems I used for the first two patches in Synth-ing's Youtube channel, including the following video which shows a self-triggering patch as well:



Since these systems don't have memories, the patch I did was surely different (and I remember definitely using more patch-cables), but if you want more informations about this system, I wrote about the modules I used in the video description!


To mix everything up and add some effects, I used once again the Clavia Nord Modular G2X!

But this time, the mixing patch is actually separated in 2 different patches, one for delays, while the other deals with reverb!

The first patch is called "DelyDely" and as expected, it was aimed to provide delays:

"DelyDely" to delay and pitch-shift your sounds, as well as processing them a bit further ;)

To keep things interesting, there are two mixers for the delays, one for the feedback, which features a pitch-shifter, and another for the output, which is then further processed.
There is also another feedback line, which features a compressor and lowpass filters, as well as plenty of modulation available!

To add some reverb, I also used "Revyum", a nice reverb patch with some EQ, pitch-shifting and multimode filter for the feedback line!

"Revyum", an Hall reverb mixing patch! 
If you look at both patches ("DelyDely" and "Revyum"), you will quickly notice that both of them perform mixing tasks for the external signal, featuring amps and noise gates for the external inputs.

Unfortunately, this part of the patch had to be included in both "DelyDely" and "Revyum" as the 4 available bus channels were needed to send the signal from the "2To4" patch into these mixing patches, but also to send the signal from the effect provided by "DelyDely" into "Revyum".

In fact, you can use the processed signal from "DelyDely" and apply some reverb to it in "Revyum", but the other way is actually not possible, as you don't have any bus channel available to send the signal from "Revyum" into "DelyDely".

This is an example where extra bus channels would have been a real plus...
If more bus channels were available, it would have been easy to use the remaining slot (as you can see, I only used 3 of the available 4 slots in this performance) to create a nice channel strip for each of the inputs, which would be then send to the mixer / effects patches.
Still, for most tasks, the amount of bus channels provided is enough, but it would have definitely been nice if this amazing machine could handle more of those...


I think this concludes my review of this performance, and if you want to download the patches I presented for the Clavia Nord Modular G2, you can do so here, where you can also listen to this complete performance, which I hope you'll enjoy!

And like always, any feedback you have for me, be sure to post it in the comments! ;)


P.S. - Sorry for the lack of photos of the setup, but it seems I ended up forgetting to take some...

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário