Mensagens populares

domingo, 12 de fevereiro de 2017

CONCERT - Patches used in the last performance!

First of all, I really hope you enjoyed my last performance as much as I did!


I haven't used my Sequentix P3 for a while and it was much fun to use it again!
It is really an amazing sequencer and I hope I was able to show it to you yesterday, despite I am sure I explored only a very small fraction of its power!

I was also really pleased with the Eventide Space, as I feel the reverse reverb algorithm I used really enhanced the overall sound of my performance.

This was the setup I chose for this performance - Clavia Nord Modular G1 + Sequentix P3 + Eventide Space!

But the real star of this performance was the Clavia Nord Modular G1, whose 4 parts give the 4 monophonic sounds you listened to!

I could have probably just used the same patch with different settings for all 4 parts, but to keep things more interesting, I decided it would be worth to come up with 4 completely different monophonic patches, which I'll present in this post!


The first patch I present, called "BiSpectrum_M", makes use of two SpectralOsc modules, each of them enhanced with a slaved pulse wave oscillator.

BiSpectrum_M, nice patch making use of the amazing SpectralOsc modules of the Clavia Nord Modular G1!
There is also a nice amount of processing (overdrives for each of the oscillator blocks plus a nice filter and EQ) and, like in all the patches I have done for this set, I used one of the oscillators to modulate the panner at the end of the chain.


The second patch is named "2OscNRing_M" and features a ring modulator plus two independent oscillators.

2OscNRing_M, a nice patch making use of the RingMod module!

Probably the most significant lack for some of you in this patch would be the LFO...

But since these patches were aimed at more percussive sounds that would be sequenced by the Sequentix P3, I didn't feel that to be a significant drawback.

Still, to compensate this "flaw", I ended up choosing a different filter module that allows audio rate modulation, with Osc1 being used as a modulator for it, giving me a nice filter FM touch!


The third patch is named "DualAddictive_M" and makes use of the fantastic OscSineBank module of the Clavia Nord Modular G1.

DualAddictive_M, amazing what you can using only sine wave oscillators plus some deep modulations!

This is a pretty complex patch as, in total, you get 13 sine wave oscillators playing simultaneously, with two OscSineBank modules and a OscSlvFM!

To make things more interesting, the OscFM is modulated by a mix of all those 13 sine wave oscillators, with a different mix being sent to multimode filter.

I was pretty pleased with the results and definitely am looking forward to experiment a bit more with the OscSineBank module!

I probably should have made use of the "am" inputs available in the SineBank modules, but even considering a fixed amplitude for the different oscillators in the SineBank modules, it is possible to obtain very interesting sounds!

Another way to make this patch a bit more versatile would have been to add an LFO to it, but like on the previous patch, I ended up choosing not to.


The final patch I have to present is called "3O2F_M", with "3O" being a reference to the 3 oscillators available and "2F" a reference to the 2 filters used.

3 Oscillators and 2 Filters (and 3 EGs plus 1 LFO) can give you plenty of sonic power, as this 3O2F_M patch shows!

To compensate the use of very simple oscillators (3 OscSlaveA), I ended up adding more filters and modulators than in the remaining patches.

This, together with the cyclic cross modulation I used considering the 3 oscillators, helps making this a very interesting patch!

The one "weird" thing you probably noticed is that all oscillators are tuned to the same pitch...
The reason for this is that I made a change in the tune using one of the morph groups, since this way I can change the tune of Osc2 and Osc3 at the same time, which allowed me to come up with a very interesting and fat detuned sound for this patch, using the CCs sent by my Sequentix P3.


In case you didn't notice, for this last patch, "3O2F_M", I mentioned the use of morph groups for the first time!

But as I told you before, the 4 morphing groups available per patch is what makes this synth so amazing together with the Sequentix P3!

Despite it's not a common feature, morphing groups are an amazing feature of the Clavia Nord Modular G1 since they allow you to make changes in several parameters using a single CC!
And as you can guess, the Sequentix P3 can send up to 4 different CCs per track, making it a perfect machine to sequence the Clavia Nord Modular G1!

With the Sequentix P3, I was able to change those 4 morphing groups per step, which was crucial to my performance as it allowed me to further shape my sounds considerably per step!

In fact, I ended up barely using my Clavia Nord Modular G1 interface to make any changes to the parameters, just changing the volume and pan of each of the parts when needed.
All the actual sound changes you heard during my performance were introduced either by the CCs sent by the Sequentix P3, or by the Eventide Space, which I edited using its own interface.


But more than words to describe all the possibilites of the this simple small setup is to actually listen to my performance, which I intend to make available online soon (as well as the previous and future performances), so that any of you who were unlucky to miss it can listen to it and have a better notion on how these patches can sound!

And if you actually have a Clavia Nord Modular G1, you can also be looking forward to trying the patches I used in this performance as I intend to upload them soon to electro-music.com, sharing the link in this post afterwards (I intend to do the same with the patches from the previous concert as well)!

So stay tuned if you want to re-listen to my performance (or listen to it for the first time) or check these amazing sounds for the Clavia Nord Modular G1 ;)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário