Mensagens populares

sábado, 5 de agosto de 2017

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN - Waldorf Streichfett!

And this one was... A truly major disappointment...

I truly love string machines, so when I heard about this Waldorf synth, I was extremely delighted!


As you are likely aware of, old analog string machines can be very heavy and bulky...
And they are also quite limited, offering usually a very limited amount of sounds and controls for you to tweak those sounds!

But the sound is just amazing, and different from most truly analog polyphonic synths from later days...

In fact, if I had more space available, I don't think I would have really ended up selling my two Crumars (this Multiman S and a broken Performer), because the sound from those is truly amazing!


If you saw the photos I put above, you can understand why the Waldorf Streichfett was so thrilling to me!

It is quite compact and lightweight, offers a really nice amount of sounds and plenty of controls to tweak those sounds while you are performing!

And if you listen to the demos available, it sounds pretty great, right?


So, why was I so disappointed with it?

Unfortunately there is quite a significant digital noise residue on the signal...
In fact, it was so much that I was sure the machine had to be broken when I got it!

I ended up not sending it right away for repairs and later on a friend of mine told me that he noticed the same kind of noise on his, despite he didn't notice it before I mentioned it and he tested my unit...


Being fair, I have to say that this issue depends a lot on your ears...

Searching a bit more, I saw more people complaining about this issue, but it seems that to most it isn't a serious issue (or even an issue).

To me, it was the only reason why I got rid of it...



Due to this issue, I ended up not spending much time with it, but I spent enough to say it can sound pretty good indeed!

It's just a shame this flaw, especially because previous Waldorf synths (and I have a Q, MicroQ and Blofeld), don't suffer from this kind of problems (despite the headphone output of the Blofeld can be a bit noisy...).


If you are interested in a compact solution for string machine sounds, I'd suggest you to give this machine a try, as this issue I'm mentioning might not be important to you.

But I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it to anyone if that person wouldn't check it first, as I seriously think it is way too noisy for my ears...

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário