Mensagens populares

quinta-feira, 8 de março de 2018

G1&G2 - Simple patches! What about some wavewrapping? :D

If you actually noticed, some days ago I posted about a simple FM patch I made for the Clavia Nord Modular G1 that was inspired by the Yamaha PSS-780 synthesis architecture!

If you checked that post (if you didn't, you can find it here), you'll probably remember that one of the things I wanted to do was to actually compare it with a Clavia Nord Modular G2 version of the same patch, since there were no modules used in it that are not available in the most recent Modular...

The first thing in order to do this comparison was to reproduce that same patch with the Clavia Nord Modular G2, which would result in something like this:



Unfortunately for me, since the Clavia Nord Modular G2 Engine I have available is not expanded, I only get 24 notes of polyphony rather than the 32 notes of polyphony I got with the patch for my Clavia Nord Modular G1, which is expanded...


And this is what brings me to the actual topic of this post!

If you have an expanded Clavia Nord Modular G2, sometimes it is quite tricky to get patches with a nice amount of polyphony available.

In an expanded version, you won't get less than 8 notes of polyphony for a single patch, but if you are not lucky to have an expanded version, you will most of the times finding yourself not having more than that amount of polyphony, even if your patch doesn't look too complex...


So, in this post, I decided to post about a very simple patch that I came up with that gives me 32 notes of polyphony with my unexpanded Clavia Nord Modular G2 Engine!

It is far from being a very versatile patch, but you can still get pretty nice and unique sounds with it!


Since the patch really has to be limited, or it is impossible to achieve 32 notes of polyphony, I decided to feature a module that isn't standard in most synths, so that at least it can provide a more unique sound!

After experimenting a bit, my choice ended up being a wave wrapper module, and the end result was "Simple32", the patch I present in the following picture!



As you can see, this patch lacks a filter, which is, in a way, compensated by the wave wrapper.

This module processes the basic signal generated by the oscillator in a different way than a filter would, producing quite some interesting sounds you just can't get from most "standard" synthesizers!

And as you can see, the amp EG can modulate the wave wrapper, which makes it really easy to obtain "pluck" sounds with it!


Since there was some more DSP available, but not that much to add further processing of the oscillators per note, I decided to add some modules in the FX section of the patch!

My choices ended up being a 2-band EQ and a chorus, since those effects can't be modulated polyphonically.

Despite those modules don't really change the sound that much, they definitely give a nice touch to the sound of this patch!


What is missing in this post is a proper demo of this patch, but I am not sure exactly where to put those available...

That is something I really should figure out soon, as a simple demo would make a post like this much more interesting.

I hope to have that checked soon, to improve the quality of my posts!
But in the meanwhile, I felt it was interesting to post about this simple past!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário