Mensagens populares

domingo, 24 de março de 2019

MEANWHILE - Getting those Emagics to work!

If you have an Emagic MIDI interface (Unitor 8 MkII, AMT8 or MT4) and you can't get it to work, be sure to check this post!


So, sometime ago I acquired a pack of old Emagic MIDI interfaces, consisting of two Unitor 8 MkIIs and two MT4s.

It really wasn't something I was looking for, but since the price was pretty low and the seller was even willing to go a bit lower, I just knew I had to get them!


Despite being sure I wanted to get the deal done, I wasn’t sure what use I was going to give them, as I couldn’t be totally sure they would work on my MacBook Pro, running Mac OS 10.9.
Still, since they should run well on my old iMac G5 I have back in the studio, I felt it was worth giving it a try, as the price was really good!


Unfortunately, not all was good with the deal, as the seller did one of the worst packing jobs I’ve ever seen…


Yes, what you see in the photo below, is how it looked after I opened the package, and no other protections were added to the units…



It would have been great if I could say the units were left undamaged, but one of the RS 232 ports actually got a bit screwed (fortunately I won’t need to use that port in both units…)


I contacted the seller, who had the decency to apologise, but the damage was already done…

Fortunately the price was really great, but this incident still managed to screw the deal quite a bit for me…



But the worst part from this incident is that it left me completely unsure if the units were actually working as they should or not…

When they were sent, they were supposed to be working well, but after such a trip, were they really still working well?

Unfortunately it took me quite some time to get an answer for that, as I just couldn’t make them work…
I tried to install the latest driver, but my computer would tell me it wasn’t needed, but the units wouldn’t work…
I posted in forums and Facebook groups, but nobody seemed to know the answer…


Fortunately, by pure luck, yesterday I noticed an Emagic AMT8 in the photos of an advert (for a different piece of gear) and decided to give it a try and message the seller, as maybe he knew how to make it work.

To my surprise, the person was extremely nice and explained me how to make it work, at time when my hope of getting things sorted was pretty much gone...


So, if you want to install the more recent driver, Unitor Family Driver 2.5 (which you should be able to find here), you should only open the .dmg file, but not the .pkg one!

Instead of opening that file, you should click with the right button on the option “Show Package Contents”, in which you will find a file named “Archive.pax.gz”.

By double clicking in the previous file, you will notice that a new folder named "Library" will be created in the same folder your .dmg file is stored at.

All you have to do now is to put the “EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin” you find in that folder in the Library > Audio > MIDI Drivers folder located in the root of your hard disk!

And now, if you followed the steps I mentioned before, your Emagic interface should work perfectly (you might need to reboot your computer, but I am not sure on this...)!


Since this really made my day, I felt it was worth sharing, as I hope it might make someone else's day as well! 


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário